Bluetooth SIG

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Maclay 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

Larry Polyak
    Keymaster

Does anyone know if membership and listing in the Bluetooth SIG is required to use Bluetooth in a product? Membership is free but listings costs $4000 to $8000.

Scott Brenneman
    Participant

I assume that you’ve already dug into the website for the Bluetooth SIG, as there’s a lot of info there. I think the answer is generally yes, though it depends a bit on what “use” means. To get the logo I believe one needs that, though if you use a pre-certified module you can leverage their membership, I believe. Test labs which perform Bluetooth testing can also be a resource to tell you what’s needed.

Larry Polyak
    Keymaster

Yes I have read what I can but I am sure the SIG is slanted toward getting a membership. There is no need to use the BT logo, and yes am using a pre-certified module. Perhaps that vendor can advise.

Wendi Allen
    Participant

I worked on a BT product last year. According the research my client did, in order to use the BT logo, or even the word “Bluetooth”, you have to be a member. I recall my client telling me it cost him $12,000.

Walt Maclay
    Participant

You can develop Bluetooth without paying the fee to the Bluetooth consortium. To manufacture and use the Bluetooth logo someone needs to pay, usually the customer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.